Wednesday, August 10, 2011

To be frank, Emma flusters me and--for lack of a better word--pisses me off. I mean, I'm enjoying the book and I understand where Emma is coming from. I'm generally the type of reader who puts herself into the character's shoes while having my own opinion. I can see how she becomes so easily bored with her life after the extravagant party she attends. To me, she is the typical, oblivious, and inconsiderate female role. She cares about no one but herself and her own happiness. She reminds me of Madame Loisel from The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant and Nora Helmer from A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen. All of these, including Madame Bovary, were written during the 1800's. All of these women were styled to fit the average woman who desires and dreams of the best life.

Literature aside, Emma choices were exactly that; her own choices. She could have had a merely happy life with her hard working husband and her young daughter, but she decided to undermine the value of family and satisfied her needs instead. Her attitude towards life, is negative and spoiled. It seems as if nothing will ever be enough for Emma. She gets bored way too quickly. Her bad decisions cause her to kill herself. I often wonder of her daughter, Berthe. What does her life end up life? I mean, she practically gorws up in a cotton mill. Does she ever learn of her mother's poor decisions? Is she the same woman subconsciously?

Over all, I enjoyed reading this novel more than anything else. This brought out my idea of sociology. Relationships and human to human interaction and such. I enjoyed the scandalous adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment