Monday, August 1, 2011

On page 16, Weber mentions "traditionalism" means a person doesn't strive to make more money. Originally, a person only works to earn what is necessary to survive. For some reason, it reminded me of one of our earlier readings with Rousseau. At one point, Rousseau stated that in the natural stage, men worked for leisure. They built tools because it was an enjoyment. Slowly, that work became a job-- an exhausting job. In the modern society, if wage was still calculated by piecework, I think I would be a lot more productive at work. I would try to produce as much as I can to earn more money, which shows how much human principles have changed from the 'natural stage'. Knowing that I have a set wage for each hour at work, I realize I daydream and stare into space a lot of the times. I end up using the time unwisely when I could have been productive.
This weekend's reading was interesting. For the first essay, I basically wrote the opposite argument of Weber's so it was interesting understanding a different side of whether or not capitalism made humans greedy.. The use of Benjamin Franklin's work was helpful in defining the "spirit" of capitalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment